In August 2019, Apple launched the Apple Card – a credit card that’s issued by Goldman Sachs and intended for Apple customers who use Apple Pay. The Apple Card works like a traditional credit card, with some extra perks.
Who can apply for this card?
This credit card is currently only available in the U.S. U.S users can sign up for the Apple Card through the Wallet app. You need to be 18 years or older, a U.S. citizen or a lawful U.S resident with a U.S resident address. You also need an iPhone running iOS 12.4 or later. You must be signed in to iCloud on your iPhone and 2-factor authentication must be switched on. The Card only takes a couple of minutes to set up, as most of the info is extracted from your Apple ID.
A credit check is carried out by Goldman Sachs and TransUnion before an individual is approved. However, since Apple want to make Apple Card an accessible credit card, they are currently accepting individuals with poor-fair credit scores.
Using the Apple Card
You can set your Apple Card as your default Apple Pay card, after which you can use it for online and offline purchases using all your Apple devices. If you need to pay for purchases that don’t accept Apple Pay, you can use the physical version of the Apple Card to make that transaction. It can be used in stores that accept Mastercard.
Activating your physical card is simple. If you’re using iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR, you need to hold your iPhone near the envelope that the card arrives in for an NFC scan. An “Activate” option should appear on your iPhone, which you need to tap on. If you have an iPhone X, you need to open your Wallet app, tap “Activate” on the app and hold your iPhone near the Apple Card’s packaging.
The Apple Card can also be used on iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac. Set it via Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay. Setting up your Apple Card on a Mac with a Touch ID is also easy. Go to System Preferences > Wallet & Apple Pay > + > Add the Apple Card. On Macs without Touch ID, you need to turn on “Allow Payments”. You then need to authenticate purchases using your iPhone or Apple Watch.
Apple Card Family Sharing
In May 2021, Apple introduced Apple Card Family. This feature enables cardholders to add 4 other adults as co-owners of the accounts. Individuals 13 years and older can also be added as additional cardholders.
There are no extra fees if you exceed your credit limit (which varies from person to person depending on the credit score). However, you still have to pay interest on your outstanding balance. Late payments will also affect your credit score. The exchange rate for foreign currencies and transactions is determined by Mastercard; however, there are no foreign transaction fees. If you’re travelling outside of the U.S, making credit card purchases using your Apple Card is still quite difficult since the Apple Card doesn’t have a PIN. In most countries, a PIN is still required to make a purchase.
Apple is offering a cash-back rewards programme for Apple Card cardholders. You get 1% cash-back for all the purchases you make using the Apple Card and 2% cash-back on those made using Apple Pay. For Apple Store purchases and partner purchases (which including Uber, Nike, Walgreens Pharmacies etc), you get 3% cash-back. This cash is deposited into your Apple’s Daily Cash account and can then be transferred to your Apple Cash card or bank account.
With Apple Card, you can:
- Track your spending: all transactions are colour coded and categorised. The Card also provides a weekly, monthly and yearly breakdown of transactions.
- Get purchase notifications: you’ll get an instant notification on your phone when a purchase is made using your Apple Card
- Keep track of where you made your transactions: Apple uses Apple Maps and machine learning to label your transactions with the merchant’s name and the shop’s location.
- Schedule payments: With Apple Card, you can cut down on interest by scheduling weekly, biweekly and monthly payments using Apple Cash or your traditional bank account – which is linked to your Apple Card or Wallet app.
- Get multiple benefits: Since Apple connected the Apple Card to the Mastercard network, cardholders get access to Mastercard-exclusive benefits. Perks include free two-day shipping from partners websites, golf offerings, fraud protection, travel discounts and upgrades, fraud protection and more.
- Enjoy interest-free purchases: Apple Card cardholders can purchase the latest iPhone and the SIM-free iPhone and pay it off over 24 months with no added interest. Interest-free monthly instalment plans are also available for other Apple devices.
- Download a CSV spreadsheet or OFX data for Apple Card transactions
- Export Apple transactions in Quicken QFX and QuickBooks QBO formats
- Contact Apple Card support on a 24/7 basis using the Messages app