Losing your mobile phone can be devastating. Not only do you lose a personal device, but all the photos, documents and files stored in it. Fortunately, there are various ways to locate your phone. One of them is Google’s “Find My Device.”
Ensure your device can be found
First things first – for your device to be found, it must be turned on and signed in to a Google Account. Additionally, it must be connected to mobile data or Wi-Fi so that it comes up on Google Play. Its “Location” and “Find My Device” must also be turned on.
Using Find My Device
Follow these steps to locate your phone using “Find My Device”:
- Open “Settings”.
- Tap “Security” and “Find My Device”.
- Make sure “Find My Device” and “Location” are turned on.
- Open play.google.com/settings.
- Under “Visibility,” pick your device.
- Open android.com/find.
- Sign in to your Google Account.
- If this device has more than one user profile, sign in with the Google Account that’s on the main profile.
Your device should appear on the screen. “Find My Device” allows you to secure your device and delete all content from it. In addition, you can also “Play Sound,” which triggers a 5-minute ringing sound that alerts you just in case your device is nearby.